(Hit Songwriter Gary Nicholson)
Gary Nicholson's ability to write hit songs are shared in his songwriting seminars and workshops. As Whitey Johnson, Nicholson focuses on teaching the art of writing the Blues.
Whitey Johnson is the Blues persona of Gary Nicholson, who has written songs recorded by the most celebrated Blues artists of all time, including: BB King, Buddy Guy, Bonnie Raitt, Taj Mahal, Etta James, Joe Bonamassa, Keb Mo, James Cotton, Irma Thomas, Gatemouth Brown, Junior Wells, Jimmy Witherspoon, John Mayall, Bo Diddley, Eric Clapton, Delbert McClinton, Greg Allman, Fleetwood Mac, The Blues Brothers, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Kim Wilson, Marcia Ball, Bonnie Bramlett, Tracy Nelson, The Neville Brothers, Watermelon Slim, and so many others.
For his performances as Whitey Johnson he is frequently joined by all star bands in Nashville, Austin, Dallas, and LA. Gary has conducted many songwriting workshops including Berklee School of Music in Boston and IMRO in Dublin Ireland, as well as various other festivals. His ability to write Hit songs are shared in his songwriting seminars and workshops. As Whitey Johnson, Nicholson focuses on teaching the art of writing the Blues.
He was inducted into the Texas Songwriter’s Hall of Fame in 2011 and has served on the board of The Blues Foundation. He has won two Grammy’s in the Contemporary Blues category as producer of Delbert McClinton.
Some of his Blues Hits include:
- SKIN DEEP (Buddy Guy)
- SHADOW OF DOUBT (Bonnie Raitt)
- EVERY TIME I SING THE BLUES (Buddy Guy & Eric Clapton)
- NO GOOD PLACE FOR THE LONELY (Joe Bonamassa)
- OLD WEAKNESS (Etta James)
- STAY AROUND A LITTLE LONGER (BB King & BuddyGuy)
- MORE FOR YOUR MONEY (Keb Mo)
He has also penned:
- ONE MORE LAST CHANCE (Vince Gill)
- TROUBLE WITH THE TRUTH (Patty Loveless)
- A BETTER WORLD FOR LOVE (Alabama, Ronnie Milsap, Lee Roy Parnell)
- WORRY B GONE (Willie Nelson w/Kenny Chesney)
- SQUEEZE ME IN (Trisha Yearwood w/Garth Brooks)
- A THOUSAND TIMES A DAY (George Jones)
- BAG OF BONES (George Jones w/T.Graham Brown)
- FATHERS AND SONS (Waylon Jennings, Charlie Daniels)
- LONE STAR BLUES (George Strait)
- WHEN YOU GONNA COME AROUND (Dierks Bently)
- WHEN WE WERE KINGS (Brooks and Dunn)
- BACK IN YOUR ARMS AGAIN (The Mavericks)
- A THOUSAND TIMES A DAY (Patty Loveless)
- SOMEBODY TO LOVE YOU (Wynonna)